Ahead of the European Union (EU)-African Union (AU) summit on 17-18 February 2022, Amnesty International calls on African and European leaders to deliver on their human rights commitments in policy and practice, as they confront multiple challenges together. At the EU-AU Foreign Affairs Ministerial Meeting in October 2021, both sides re-affirmed their commitment to political dialogue aimed at enhancing human rights and informing the overall AU-EU cooperation.
Today, urgent human rights challenges on the agenda include the following:
- ensuring equal access to COVID-19 vaccines, diagnostics and treatments
- protecting human rights in conflict situations
- upholding the rights of refugees and migrants
- safeguarding civil society space, and
- standing for human rights at the multilateral level.