About our office
Who we are
Amnesty International’s European Institutions Office in Brussels coordinates and promotes our lobbying, advocacy and campaigning directed at decision-makers in the European Union (EU) and Council of Europe (CoE). We seek to ensure that the EU integrates human rights into its internal and external policies and that the CoE and its member states take tangible action to promote and protect human rights nationally and regionally.
What we do
The European Institutions Office focuses on diverse EU policies and Council of Europe- related human rights issues including:
- Human rights in CoE member states and accession countries
- Reform of the European Court of Human Rights and EU’s accession to the European Convention on Human Rights
- Human rights in EU foreign policy
- Security, counter-terrorism and human rights
- Refugee and migrant protection
- Judicial and police co-operation
- Equality and non-discrimination (targeting discrimination against Roma, Muslim and LGBTI people, migrants)
- Corporate accountability
How we work
We lobby EU policy-makers to influence how they set standards on human rights- related issues, to encourage policy change where necessary and to react to unfolding human rights events.
We work with the European Commission, Council, External Action Service, nation- al diplomatic missions to the EU and Council of Europe, Members of the European Parliament, the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly, and human rights pro- tection systems.
Working with Amnesty International’s national teams throughout Europe, which lobby their own governments, we talk to national representatives, particularly the rotating EU presidencies, to press for a strong focus on human rights in EU.